Timeline to keep track of what is going on within the RAGE series.
- 2004: Scientists detect an asteroid the size of Manhattan spiraling in deep space. Excitement turns to concern as prediction's have it passing dangerously close to Earth's lunar orbit sometime in 2029. The asteroid is dubbed 99942 “Apophis” — after the Egyptian god of chaos.
- 2024: Apophis is privately assigned a Torino rating of 7, the highest ever on the scale to measure the likelihood of an object impacting Earth. Publicly, the US and other collaborating governments announce a rating of 4. NASA and the European Space Agency believe the rating will be increased to 10 within 12 months.
- 2025: The “Eden” project begins. Capsules are buried deep underground and designed to burrow out at preset dates several years after the disaster. The goal of the project is to preserve knowledge, genetic samples and other items essential for human life. Thousands of Arks contain groups of “inhabitants” who are injected with nanotrites, a new untested super-science of the day, allowing them to survive cold sleep.
- 2025–27: Governments stockpile massive arsenals of weapons and supplies within hardened fortifications deep inside the Earth.
- August 2029: News reaches the general population as smaller meteorites impact the Earth ahead of Apophis. The “Ark” project is initiated.
- December 2029: Apophis strikes the Moon and slams into the Earth carrying the force of 13.3 Gigatonnes of TNT. Entire countries are devastated, cities are erased, and lakes and rivers evaporate. The Earth is cast into a multi-year impact winter as the Sun is blocked by dust and debris in the stratosphere. Within one year, 80% of all life disappeared on Earth.
- 2035: The dust starts to settle as survivors crawl out of caves and shelters to a world that is nothing like before. Civilization is gone, and little hope remains. People group together in loosely formed clans. Small settlements and camps are constructed as many try to find shelter from the unknown dangers lurking in the wasteland that has become Earth.
- 2135: Later on Nicholas Raine helps the Resistance and they decrypt Raine's ID drive that has locations, codes and reentry times for every Ark that was ever buried. This ID drive is the only way to beat the Authority and set free all the Ark's that the Authority imprisoned beneath the Earth. But in order to activate the drive, [[|Nicholas Raine|Raine]] needed to infiltrate the Authorities Capital City, get to the Ark control system and upload data from the OD Drive. Once [[|Nicholas Raine|Raine]] uploaded the OD Drive, the Resistance put in place their own people to help those who emerge from the Ark's and form together to build an army that could defeat the Authority.
(30 year gap between the end of RAGE and where RAGE 2 starts)